Sindhi Mutton (Lamb) Biryani
- 1 kg boneless mutton
- 4 cups rice
- 3 potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 whole green chilies
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 sticks cinnamon, 4 cardamoms & 6 cloves
- Few peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup yogurt, beaten
- 8-10 dry plums, soak in little water to soften
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- Few strands of saffron, soaked in milk or water
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp oil or butter
- Heat oil or butter in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorns and fry. Then add the onions and fry until golden.
- Add green chilies, ginger-garlic paste and fry for 1 more minute. Also add mutton pieces and fry until it is lightly browned. Add salt, chili powder, little water and fry the masala.
- Now add yogurt, cover the pan and cook on medium flame. After few minutes add water, 1-2 cups to cook mutton till 3/4 tender.
- At the stage when its 3/4 tender, add potatoes, plums, tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Add garam masala powder, mix well and remove from fire.
- Soak the rice in water for 1/2 hour. Cook until 3/4 done, with little vinegar and salt.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pan and put little oil from gravy in pan. Add half of the rice, cover with mutton pieces along with gravy, add chopped coriander leaves, and then with remaining rice.
- Sprinkle saffron water on top. Cover the pan tightly with any heavy weight on top and then keep the pan on medium flame. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is done.
Serve with raita and salad.
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes