Risotto with Leeks and Bacon
- 1 lb. streaky bacon slices, chopped
- 2 fl. oz. [I cup] vegetable oil
- 4 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 2/3 cups long-grain rice, washed, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes and drained
- 14 oz. canned peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 pints [3 3/4 cups] chicken stock
- In a flameproof casserole, fry the bacon over moderate heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until it is crisp and brown and has rendered most of its fat. Transfer the pieces to a plate and set aside.
- Add the oil and heat it over moderate heat. When the oil is hot, add the leeks and fry, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and fry, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with the can juice, salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin and lemon rind and stir to mix. Pour over the stock and bring the liquid to the boil.
- Return the bacon pieces to the casserole, reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the casserole from the heat and serve at once.